I think we can agree on one thing: everybody loves pizza. And isn’t it great to be able to make it at home? Yes, it does take some time to make – mainly because the dough for the crest needs time to raise. But it’s totally worth it, I swear! It’s also fairly simple, so don’t be afraid to give it a try.
(for one 36x36cm tray – it turns out very thick, use half of the ingredients if you prefer your pizza wih thin crust)
- 4 heaping cups of plain flour
- 50g fresh yeast
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 cup of warm (but not hot! just slightly above lukewarm temperature) water
- ~1 extra cup of warm water
Crumble the yeasts into 1/2 cup of warm water. Add sugar and one teaspoon of flour. Leave for 15 minutes.
Combine flour, oil and salt in a bowl, stir. Make a well in the flour and add the yeast mixture. Combine all ingredients and knead the dough adding water – not too much, only as much as you need to wet the flour and make all ingredients combine. I usually end up using no more than 1 cup. The dough will be very thick and dry – that’s fine, it will puff up and become fluffier.
Leave for 1.5-2h to rise.
- 400g of tomatoes (I use canned, chopped tomatoes – if you prefer to use fresh, use 4-5 and add 2-3 teaspoons of tomato paste for more intense taste and colour)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- salt, pepper, basil, oregano or any other herbs of your choice
Melt butter in a pan. Add onion and garlic and cook on low heat for a few minutes, until golden in colour and soft. Add tomatoes, season to taste. Cook on low heat until most of the water from tomatoes has evaporated and the sauce has a nice, thick texture.
Garlic sauce (optional)
- 1 cup of natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, pressed
- sprinkle of salt, pepper – to taste
Combine all ingredients and leave for at least an hour.
Grease the tray with butter and spread the dough on it, spread tomato sauce on the dough. Use toppings of your choice. This time I went for ham, salami, green and black olives, sweetcorn, chilli and cheese.
Pre-heat the oven to 220°C. Bake for 15 minutes.
If you like, serve with garlic sauce or ketchup.