Any coffee lovers out here? I made this dessert a while ago, to celebrate the International (or was it “only” national?) Coffee Day. I used the cream from my Nutella & coffee cake and added coffee-themed sweets. It turned out great and it’s now become one of my quick (ish) go-to desserts!
Coffee cream (4 servings):
- 250g of mascarpone
- 250ml of double cream
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 5 teaspoons of instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons of gelatine granules
Dissolve coffee in 2-3 tablespoons of hot water, let it cool down a bit. Using a hand mixer, whip mascarpone with double cream and sugar. Pour in coffee, mix again.
Pour a bit of cold water on 2 teaspoons of gelatine (just enough to cover it). Wait a few minutes, until the water is absorbed. Heat the mixture up in a microwave (don’t let it boil! a few short – 3-5 second – blasts should be enough to melt the gelatine). Add a teaspoon of coffee cream into the gelatine, stir until combined. Add another tablespoon of cream, stir again. Now stir the gelatine-cream mixture into the rest of coffee cream.
Also, for each cup:
- a few biscuits (ladyfinger type, broken into smaller pieces and soaked in coffee essence – instant coffee dissolved in minimal amount of water)
- a few squares of chocolate with coffee flavoured filling (cappuccino, latte macchiato, tiramisu etc)
- wafers with coffee cream (if you can find some, I somehow managed to find cappuccino ones)
- dark chocolate
Alternate layers of cream and extras in each cup. Decorate with more biscuits and chocolate on top. Refrigerate overnight.